Tag Archives: slidedeck

SlideDeck Bumps

With new events coming up, it was time to replace the Slidedeck on the home page. This turned out to be more difficult than expected.

Firstly, the Insert SlideDeck button was hidden behind the Upgrade banner. When I moved that admin widget away from the sidebar to the main post column, the ‘Insert’ button became visible, but it didn’t work. Terribly irritating.

I remembered that all it did was to insert a shortcode into HTML view, but when I tried [Slidedeck], that didn’t work either. After firing up my development VM and checking the test page I had created, I realized that the shortcode is case sensitive.

For my own reference, and because all the information online was on how to use the ‘Insert’ button, the shortcode I’m using is below.

[SlideDeck id='xxxx' width='100%' height='250px'] Replace xxxx with the id number of the SlideDeck, which can be seen when editing it.

Advertisements

WordPress 3.3

WordPress 3.3 is out!! Upgrade your sites now. Here’s what I did to upgrade.

  1. Backup the database. Using phpmyadmin provided by my host, I exported the database to a .sql file, just in case.
  2. Upgrade. Using SSH, I logged in to my webhost and ran the following command in the root directory of my site.
    svn co http://core.svn.wordpress.org/tags/3.3 .
    This works because I used SVN to install WordPress. Personally, I like this method as it is very easy to switch versions if I ever have to. I can even switch to trunk if I’m feeling adventurous. I have yet to do this though.
  3. Update the database. Visit domain.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php and a page will come up prompting for a database update. Just click the button.
  4. Update plugins. Slidedeck was the only plugin that needed updating. Remembering what happened the previous time, I backed up my custom skin first. Sure enough, the update overwrote the folder and I had to copy the skin back.
  5. Enjoy WordPress 3.3 šŸ™‚

Updating Slidedeck Plugin

Updating the Slidedeck plugin to version 1.4.2 broke my site. I got PHP warnings about “file get content cannot be empty”, or something like that.

Much to my irritation, there’s also no way to downgrade back to version 1.4.1, although that wouldn’t have solved anything.

The problem is that the ‘skins’ folder containing my custom slidedeck skin was overwritten, so it could no longer find the active skin. Replacing this folder from the backup on my local development copy solved the problem.